Oil Pulling has long been used in Ayurvedic practices as a method to draw out toxins (known as ama) that accumulate in the mouth.
1) Choose an organic food-grade oil that will not gross you out -- I prefer coconut or sesame.
2) First thing in the morning (after scraping your tongue) take 1 Tbsp of oil by mouth & swish.
It is best to do this on an empty stomach.
I generally oil pull first thing in the morning while I’m still easing into the world, washing my face and preparing my tea - the time goes by really quickly!
Remember to glide the oil along and between teeth, as well as under the tongue and all the way back toward the molars.
3) After 15-20 minutes, spit the oil out (in the trash or compost)
If 15 minutes feels like too much at first, start with 10 and work your way up.
*Optional, but important: SALT WATER GARGLE*
4) Mix ½ tsp mineral salt (ideally himalayan pink salt) with 2/3 cup of warm water
5) Swish 1 large sip of salt water (do not swallow)
6) Rinse by retracing the pattern of the oil for about 15 seconds
7) Spit salt water out
This should leave the mouth feeling clean & free of oil residue.
It can also be a great preventative measure for sore throat and congestion.
*And now, one last ACTION FOR PREVENTION*
7) Again, take a large sip of salt water (do not swallow)
8) Tip head back & gargle for about 20 seconds
9) Spit & repeat process two more times
Decreased ama (toxins/bacteria) in the mouth, which may manifest on the skin as acne
Increased ability to taste all six tastes
Prevention of bad breath & gingivitis
Prevention of mucous (kapha) buildup that leads to sinus congestion
Strengthening of jaw
Oral hygiene is incredibly important. The mouth is the place where digestion begins and having good digestion is a crucial to having good health. You do not need to do this everyday, maybe a few times a week, maybe once a week. Find a routine that works for you.
Take care of yourself & embrace the ritual.
You are here because it’s time to activate your full body awareness and to cultivate routines and practices that invite you to truly thrive. Take yourself on a healing journey with our online wellness courses, or connect with an Ayurvedic practitioner by scheduling a private consult.